Carthage Film Festival general rules
Download excerpts from the Carthage Film festival general rules
Carthage Film Festival (Journées Cinématographiques de Carthage - JCC) is a biennial international cultural event involving public screenings of films and meetings between their authors, directors, producers, distributors, cast, crew and others.
Its aim is to contribute to the promotion of national cinematography in each African and Arab country.
Carthage Film Festival is organized by the Tunisian Ministry of Culture. A board of Directors is in charge of defining its orientations and an organizing committee will implement them.
Films taking part in the official selection of the Carthage Film Festival must have been produced during the 24 months preceding the festival.
Carthage Film Festival is open to fictions and documentaries whether they be shot on film or video.
The official program of the festival includes the following events:
- An OFFICIAL COMPETITION section; FICTION (Long and Short features)
- An OFFICIAL COMPETITION section; Documentary
- A PANORAMA OF TUNISIAN CINEMA section
- A WORLD CINEMA section
- A TRIBUTE section
- SPECIAL SCREENINGS.
- The FILM MARKET
- PROJECTS’ WORKSHOP
- PRODUCERS’ NETWORK
- MASTER CLASSES
- Meetings, lectures and conferences on art and the film industry.
To be entered in the Official Competition, films must:
- Have been directed by an African or Arab Director or a Director of African or Arab origin.
- Not have been subject to commercial or cultural exploitation in Tunisia (Festival, foreign film weeks ...). Tunisian films are not submitted to this rule.
The Official Competition is open to a maximum of two (2) feature films and two (2) short films per country. Tunisia can present three (3) films.
The Documentary Competition is open to a maximum of two (2) feature films and two (2) short films per country. Tunisia can present three (3) films.
Selection of films for the different sections will be the exclusive responsibility of the managing committee. The committee, after viewing the DVD of the films, is the sole body empowered to determine the number of short and feature films which may participate in either one of the above mentioned sections.
In order to be selected, films must answer the following requirements:
- Be requested by the Festival managing committee from its directors, producers or rightful owners who accept to have them entered in one of the above mentioned sections.
- Be proposed to the managing committee by their directors, producers or rightful owners to be entered in one of the festival sections and accepted by the committee.
For the participation of Tunisian films, an independent advisory commission, appointed by the Minister of Culture, is responsible for proposing up to three (3) movies for each competition.
CLAUSE 7 Films participating at the Carthage Film Festival only represent their directors or their producers and all distinctions, bonuses and other benefits are explicitly intended to them.
These films are presented to the public by the directing Committee of the JCC. They are its sole responsibility in accordance with these General Regulations. They cannot, under any circumstances, be regarded as binding or officially representing states or governments whose nationals, the respective directors or producers are citizen.
In order to be entered in the Festival program, all prints should be screened in 35mm with optical sound or BETA SP or digital BETA.
Each film presented within the framework of the Carthage Film Festival Competition must be subtitled in Arabic, French or English.
The deadline for entries of films for the official selections is September 20, 2012.
Prints and BETA tapes must be sent to the managing committee head office no later than October 1st 2012.
THE DIRECTOR OF THE CARTHAGE FILM FESTIVAL: BP N°46 - 1008 Tunis Bab Menara Tunisia
Tel. : (+216) 71 570 280 - (+216) 71 572 947
Fax : (+216) 71 567 323